Check the Vegetarian status of food additives using your iPhone 3GS Camera!
Vegetarian Scanner is a one of kind app that will scan ingredient labels of food products and automatically tell you the Vegetarian statuses of the food additives contained in the product.
Vegetarian Scanner takes a photo of the ingredients label on a product, recognizes the food additive numbers using text recognition technology and checks the additives in our Vegetarian database to determine whether or not they are Vegetarian.
Vegetarian Scanner also lets you browse through and search our database of food additives when you need to look up additives in a hurry or if you are using an iPod Touch, iPhone 2G or 3G.
* Note: Vegetarian Scanner will work only with E-numbers. E-numbers are found mostly on labels within the European Union, Australia and New Zealand.
HOW TO GET GOOD RESULTS
1. Good lighting is essential. Ensure that the product is scanned in a well lit area.
2. Focus the camera on the product before taking the photo.
3. Crop the photo to include only the ingredients list. After you take the photo, reduce the size of the photo using the crop feature to only include the ingredients that you want scanned.
4. Scan the ingredients in the direction of the text indicated on the screen. Hold the camera sideways so that the text on the Camera is upright before taking the photo.
5. Hold the phone steady while taking the photo.
Depending on the image, processing may take from a few seconds to over a minute.
- Vegetarian Scanner works on iPod Touch, iPhone 2G, 3G, and 3GS.
- To access camera functions (such as scanning) iPhone 3GS is required. Scanning will not work on iPod Touch and will give unexpected results on iPhone 2G and 3G devices. However, you can still access our Vegetarian database within the app to search through food additives.
- To improve scanning functionality on iPhone 2G and 3G, external lenses may be required.
- We have intensively researched Vegetarian statuses, however we cannot guarantee results. You should make your own decisions when considering whether a product is Vegetarian or not.
- Vegetarian Scanner will only scan food additive numbers (E-numbers). You must therefore always check all ingredients on the product when considering whether a product is Vegetarian or not.
- Text recognition technology cannot guarantee 100% accurate results. Vegetarian Scanner may recognize incorrect food additives or miss additives that are scanned. You should always double check results.
- Vegetarian Scanner will only scan food additives with E-numbers available in our database. E-numbers are found mostly on labels within the European Union, Australia and New Zealand. For countries outside the European Union, Vegetarian Scanner will only scan imported European products.
- Vegetarian Scanner should be treated as a guide only. The final decision on whether or not to consume a product lies with each user and the Developers of Vegetarian Scanner cannot be held responsible for any decisions you make from using Vegetarian Scanner.