Relevant portions of the new TC 3-22.20 (US Army Physical Readiness Trainer) were converted into a mobile application. This revolutionary new physical training manual provides excellent workout routines and exercises to keep today’s fighting force fit. This app takes all of the exercises and workouts and breaks them into small chunks so that a unit can effective plan its PT routine in accordance with the new training circular and the leaders can ensure their Soldiers are conducting the exercises in the right way.
A secondary value is to demonstrate a technique of taking content from a relevant training circular and putting into an app without just loading a PDF into an app-like format. The style of this app – bits of information that can be accessed when the Soldier needs it – is our model for moving forward with content conversion.
Since this is a new Training Circular (March 2010), it contains exercises and terms that many Soldiers will be unfamiliar with. This app provides an approach that allows them to learn and reference the exercises at workouts through their mobile phone.
- Dynamically generated from XML
- Contains a list of all available exercises from TC 3-22.20
- Over 180 exercises, with step by step visual instructions that Soldiers can “swipe to the right and left” to view.
- Contains a library of 34 videos, some over 2 minutes for completing selected exercises with proper form to reinforce the pictures and text in the TC. The videos are present at the end of the selected exercises, or in a convenient video list on the tab bar at the bottom of the screen.
- 66 weeks worth of workouts
- Smart Search for exercise by name
- Sample workouts are based on each phase of the Physical Readiness Training Program and Unit Readiness Level. As you change the current program and level, you will be offered a different set of workouts.
- A tab with the APFT instructions so that the NCOIC can read from a backlit mobile telephone, instead of trying to read the directions with a flashlight in the early morning darkness.
- Workout generator
- Contains a settings module that allows the user to select the PRT phase (and has the definitions of the phases, which has new terminology for most Soldiers) and the ARFORGEN Unit Readiness Level so that the sample workouts can be customized.
- Instructions page
- Colorful interface